Browse by topic
- View All
- Agricultural and Vet Science
- Arts, Culture and Performance
- Built Environment and Design
- Business and Management
- COVID-19 Related
- Digital Technology Supercluster
- Earth Sciences
- Environmental Sciences
- History and Archaeology
- Human Society
- Indigenous Studies
- Information and Computing Science
- International Development
- Language, Communications and Culture
- Law and Legal Studies
- Medical and Health Science
- Philosophy and Religious Studies
- Policy and Political Science
- Research Tools
The Discovery Award is a one-year grant of up to $25,000 for innovative health and biomedical research projects by outstanding new investigators at universities and research institutes in Canada who are within the first three years of their first academic appointment.
To be eligible to apply, you must:
- be a new investigator at any Canadian university or affiliated research institute who will be within the first three years of the date of first career academic appointment at the application deadline date of January 25, 2021.
- have not been awarded by your institution more than $150,000 in start-up funding exclusive of support from the Canadian Foundation for Innovation (CFI) have not been awarded more than $50,000 per annum in external operating funds at the application deadline date.
A letter of nomination from the applicant’s host department or division head is required confirming:
- all eligibility criteria have been met details the operating and the institutional start-up funds available to the applicant
- the candidate has been provided the space and access to institutional infrastructure necessary to conduct the proposed research details a mentorship plan: 1) the name of a mentor, 2) who will assist the applicant in launching their career by providing guidance with formulating research proposals, 3) defining career goals and the timelines required to achieve them.
Deadline for submission 5 pm EST, January 25, 2021.
A department/division head will be permitted to nominate only one potential applicant during each annual granting cycle.
The maximum duration of the grant is one year, from July 1 to June 30.
Deadline: January 25, 2021 at 2:00 pm PT.
SFU Signature Sheet is due to ORS 3 business days before the application deadline. Overhead rate: 0%